1.Identify the users- Who else will benefit from using the report?
2. Interview the users – What information should the report contain? How should it be interpreted/presented?
3. Arbitrate conflicting demands
4. Nail down the project scope – Its important to get agreement on exactly what will be on the report
5.Nail down the project schedule
6.Verify that the necessary data is in the database.
7.Determine how the report will be viewed, cross tab with alternating row and column colors etc
8.Once the essential data has been derived, get agreement on the reports appearance.
9. decide whether to include charts, graphics etc.
10. Determine your best delivery method:reporting dashboard, email or via the web. Password protected or otherwise depending on who needs access to it.